PE: Physical Education
Here is another natural with cross-age learning. Little buddies love to
learn physical skills with and from big buddies. Long-lived and close educational
relationships in many areas of learning often begin with cross-age learning
PE activities. Hugs and laughs are common signs of progress!
Title of Lesson: Four Square
Grade Range: Spring K/1, Fall 2/5
Four square is a popular recess game at our school. Big buddies teach little
buddies the rules and play with them.
Several 4 square balls and courts.
1. With Big buddy class (PE time), review rules for four square and practice.
Talk about playing gently when we are teachers.
2. Big buddies (2 big & 2 little) teach the rules for four square: Serving,
3. Big buddies play very gently with little buddies, answer questions as they
come up, and encourage little buddies.
Title of Lesson: Squirrels in Trees
Grade Range: K-5
Third graders like this game a lot. They like the fact that they get to work
with different little buddies throughout the period.
1. Big buddy holds hands with little buddy to form a “tree.”
2. Teachers pick one-third to be squirrels. (Have one or two more squirrels
3. Each time teacher blows the whistle, squirrels run to get into a new tree.
4. After a few minutes, teachers direct groups to exchange. One person who
was a tree gets to be a squirrel.
5. Change again until everyone have a chance to be a squirrel.
Title of Lesson: Soccer Relays & Basketball
Grade Range: 1/4, 2/5
teacher teaches a skill. Switch after 12-15 minutes.
needed: 3-5 soccer balls and cones; 4-10 basketballs
- Buddies work together.
- Divide group into 2 groups – relays and basketball.
- Each teacher teaches a skill. Switch after 12-15 minutes.
- Create 3-5 groups of buddies.
- Set 3-5 cones in a row at least 20 feet away from starting
- Practice kicking ball down around cone with control.
- Do relay races with winners for
- most control
- most group support
- fastest group
- Model and practice a bounce pass
- Model and practice a chest pass
- Model and practice dribbling
- Model and practice shooting
Home - Principal Support - Teacher Support - Teacher
Teaming - Student Startup - Importance
Teamwork - Language
Arts - ESL - Mathematics - Science - Social
Studies - The Arts -PE